Rather than insisting upon definite job descriptions, we thought we would ask the committee themselves to write what they do. Of course roles and role sub parts will and can be moved between posts. but at least this is a flavour of the work involved.
Regular Sunday evening conference calls, taking turns at organising conferences and sharing job responsibilities are the only way a volunteer committee can work well.
It is a responsibility but it is a lot of fun and strong friendships arise.
Responsible for a broad range of roles including branded merchandise, attending trainee conferences to represent the society, speaking engagements and assisting in general planning of events. Generating newsletters and running the social media accounts. There is opportunity for publishing clinical information leaflets and a variety of other projects.
Representation and promotion of SOBA at trainee events
Raising awareness of training opportunities in bariatric anaesthesia through fellowship programs
Offering a point of contact between trainees interested in bariatric anaesthesia experience at nearby bariatric units
Gaining insight into the way a successful specialist society is organized and managed
- Maintaining accounts and presenting annual summaries to AGM
- Collating expenses associated with meetings and issuing payments in timely manner
- Maintaining central database of sponsors and contact details
- Issuing invoices to sponsors, in conjunction with meeting organisers
Education & Research
- Organising Abstracts and the Trainees prize competition at AGM
- Co-ordinating education materials and guideline / educational content for the website including annual update of the single sheet summary
- Consider and report on projects suggested to SOBA
- Maintaining and amending constitution of SOBA
- Primary linkman to the AAGBI Specialist Societies group and ensuring careful use of this resource
- Maintaining up to date membership database whilst ensuring compliance with Data Protection regulations
- Collating Agenda and recording Minutes of AGM and of teleconferences
- To take over role of Chairman in the absence of Chairman
- Co-ordinate programme of Annual Scientific meeting in conjunction with Chairman.
- Co-ordinate Sponsorship and industry links relating to meetings in conjunction with the Treasurer.
- Maintain the content of the Key-Issues study day courses, including update of related educational materials: Liaise with other societies re. running these courses at ESA, ESPCOP and other events.
- Figurehead and primary point of liaison with AAGBI and RCOA.
- Chair SOBA meetings including AGM
- Sign-off accounts in conjunction with treasurer, take ultimate responsibility for fiscal status of society
- Approve and take ultimate responsibility for content of newsletter and websites
- Field and reply to, or delegate responses to website and email queries
- Declare and co-ordinate all invites for SOBA representative speakers
- Ensure probity of SOBA and the constitution is followed
- Guide SOBA along the founding principles and aims
During the last two periods of SOBA's life - we have taken the view that committee jobs must on occasion share flexibly the many many big and little but vital roles between themselves. This allowed SOBA to work as a smooth balanced group.
We have tried to give a list of the 'jobs', roles and topic areas that are involved. The incumbents will have to start by allocating and then evolving roles to where individuals can deliver their best.
This list is not exhaustive or permanent and all post holders have mixed and covered all of these roles in the last two SOBA cycles of committee.
Generic Roles include:
- Ensure the constitutional core values are adhered to and delivered
- Contribute towards presentation of lectures at educational events.
- Maintain industry contacts, building on personal relationships for the benefit of SOBA.
- Support fellow council members as is reasonably required: where skill-sets favour transfer of certain roles these can be agreed at committee for the duration of posts.